I am a Ph.D. student in Robotics at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Minnesota Robotics Institute, University of Minnesota Twin Cities and a member of IRV LAB advised by Junaed Sattar. My research endeavors have been focused on addressing “How to enable robots to perceive unstructured enviroments with a vision-based learning approach?”. My research interests include field robotics, robot vision, and computer vision. With my Electrical Engineering background, I have worked on hardware side of robots as well as algorithms. I have worked on underwater, field, and manipulation robots. Outside of my research hours, I like to be active (e.g., swim and play tennis). I am also a certified scuba diver. Check out my research projects and publications.
Seeking Employment after Spring 2023
I plan to graduate around Spring 2023. I am interested in postdoc, academic, and industrial positions after my gradation. Please feel free to reach out to me via my email if you are interested in my works.
2022.09 I was inivited as a panel for “How to Thrive as a PhD Student” in the Intro to Research Course (CSCI 8001) at the University of Minnesota.
2022.09 I submitted a paper in ICRA 2023 from Samsung AI Center New York, and finished my internship (Advisor: Prof. Volkan Isler).
2022.06 Self-supervised Wide Baseline Visual Servoing via 3D Equivariance accepted for publication in IROS 2022.
2022.02 I started my Research Internship at Samsung AI Center New York.
2022.01 Using Monocular Vision and Human Body Priors for AUVs to Autonomously Approach Divers accepted for publication in ICRA 2022.
An Instance-Segmentation Labeled Dataset of Trash Observations.
A Bounding Box Labeled Dataset of Underwater Trash.
- Semantically-Aware Strategies for Stereo-Visual Robotic Obstacle Avoidance, ICRA virtual presentation, 2021.
- A Generative Approach Towards Improved Robotic Detection of Marine Litter, ICRA virtual presentation, 2020.
- Towards the Detection and Localization of Underwater Trash by Autonomous Robotic Platforms, University of Minnesota VCAI Seminar, 2019.
International Journals/Conferences Reviewer
||2023, 2022, 2021, 2020|
||2022, 2021, 2020, 2019|
||2021, 2020, 2019|
||Program Committee Member for 2021|
Faculty Hiring Commitee
- Student Representative, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota
Selected Honors and Awards
- Received 2nd place award at the 21st Korean Computer Scientists and Engineers Association in America (KOCSEA) Technical Symposium, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, November 6-7, 2021.
- UMII MnDRIVE Graduate Assistantship, University of Minnesota MnDrive, $50,000. Awarded in recognition of academic record and potential for future research productivity in Robotics, 2019.
- Summa Cum Laude, South Dakota State University (GPA: 3.96/4.0) (Top in the EE program), Dept. of EE, 2015.
- Power System Protection Scholarship, Schweitzer Engineering Lab. (SEL), $4,000. Awarded in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements, 2015.
- BENNET Fellowship, South Dakota State University, $3,000. First international student recipient. Awarded to one student annually in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements, 2014.
- Samsung Full Scholarship, Sung Kyun Kwan University, $40,000. Awarded in recognition of outstanding Korean SAT score and high school GPA, 2007-2015.
Do it fast, but do it correctly.
Documentation is a Love Letter That You Write to Your Future Self.–Damian Conway