I am a Ph.D. student in Robotics at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering and the Minnesota Robotics Institute, University of Minnesota Twin Cities and a member of IRV LAB advised by Junaed Sattar. My research endeavors have been focused on addressing “How to discover objects from unstructured enviroments using robots with a vision-based learning approach?”. My research interests include field robotics, robot vision, and computer vision. Thanks to my Electrical Engineering background, I have worked on hardware side of robots not just algorithms. Although I have mainly focused on the problems in the underwater domain, I am interested in solving any field robotic problems using vision-based approaches. Outside of my research hours, I like to be active (e.g., swim and play tennis). I am also a certified scuba diver. Check out my research projects and publications.
2022.02 I started Research Internship at Samsung AI Center New York.
2022.01 Using Monocular Vision and Human Body Priors for AUVs to Autonomously Approach Divers accepted for publication in ICRA 2022.
2021.12 I passed my Ph.D. proposal exam.
2021.11 I won the 2nd place award by presenting our paper Semantically-Aware Strategies for Stereo-Visual Robotic Obstacle Avoidance at the 21st KOCSEA Technical Symposium, University of Nevada, Las Vegas.
An Instance-Segmentation Labeled Dataset of Trash Observations.
A Bounding Box Labeled Dataset of Underwater Trash.
- Semantically-Aware Strategies for Stereo-Visual Robotic Obstacle Avoidance, ICRA virtual presentation, 2021.
- A Generative Approach Towards Improved Robotic Detection of Marine Litter, ICRA virtual presentation, 2020.
- Towards the Detection and Localization of Underwater Trash by Autonomous Robotic Platforms, University of Minnesota VCAI Seminar, 2019.
International Journals/Conferences Reviewer
||2022, 2021, 2020|
||2021, 2020, 2019|
||2021, 2020, 2019|
||Program Committee Member for 2021|
Faculty Hiring Commitee
- Student Representative, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota
Selected Honors and Awards
- Received 2nd place award at the 21st Korean Computer Scientists and Engineers Association in America (KOCSEA) Technical Symposium, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, November 6-7, 2021.
- UMII MnDRIVE Graduate Assistantship, University of Minnesota MnDrive, $50,000. Awarded in recognition of academic record and potential for future research productivity in Robotics, 2019.
- Summa Cum Laude, South Dakota State University (GPA: 3.96/4.0) (Top in the EE program), Dept. of EE, 2015.
- Power System Protection Scholarship, Schweitzer Engineering Lab. (SEL), $4,000. Awarded in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements, 2015.
- BENNET Fellowship, South Dakota State University, $3,000. First international student recipient. Awarded to one student annually in recognition of outstanding academic and personal achievements, 2014.
- Samsung Full Scholarship, Sung Kyun Kwan University, $40,000. Awarded in recognition of outstanding Korean SAT score and high school GPA, 2007-2015.
Do it fast, but do it correctly.
Documentation is a Love Letter That You Write to Your Future Self.–Damian Conway